2/1/12

xl500 build/entry : part 3

I scored an '82 swingarm that bolted right into the '79 frame-Wahoo!! A match!! I scoured the 'hood begging and borrowing for some rear shocks. After a few whacked ideas about pit bike shocks and clapped out cb550 shocks being mounted in the mono shock position not working out, I'm back to a full sized mono shock. Looks like some travel limiting devices will be in order for the rear shortly.



I have a bunch of rear axle spacers and such to work out this weekend to get that rolling and bolted on legit so I can really try some shock ideas.





The front end took a whole butt load of labor to make such a small step. I wound up using the stock cb360 axle. I picked up some bearings with a 15mm bore and bored out the brake plate bore and the bearing spacer inner support. I also found some aluminum scraps that made killer spacers. I also finally found the upper bearing nut for the stem so I sectioned and slugged and welded the stem up. I trimmed off the steering lock and built up the stops with some weld to get them to work with the original xl500 frame stop. I still have some clean up to do but it's all together. Pix. are really unimpressive looking as it looks like it should look. That sucks that so much work looks like nothing. Well, there's my 2 week update. If this rate continues I might just make it to the run....in 2013!!!!

Mike47

No comments: