10/16/13

OMS kz440 superbike : 09

Got a lot done in the past month or so. I really wasn't digging the bottom mount Bates style headlight on this bike. It looked out of place, and the bracket I made was just janky. I really liked the stock unit, so I chopped down some old universal brackets to weld onto the fork covers I previously made. Super tight fit, but it looks much better. Added some fork gaiters that still need some trimming, but we are inching closer. Also got in a new master cylinder since the stocker was shot. I saved some much needed cash on the budget by keeping the stock headlight, caliper, and brake line.







Things weren't progressing quick enough for me, so I took a full vacation day off work to get out in the garage and get the 440 going. I did the following:

carb diaphragms
set float height
blow out jets and openings in carbs
install all new carb o-rings
make new pilot screw washers(missing)
install petcock
fuel lines trimmed and quick disconnect on tank for fuel crossover
oil uni-filters
handlebars trimmed
handlebar grips trimmed
front brake bled
throttle assembly setup/adjusting
throttle cable routing/adjusting
clutch cable routing/adjusting
wire/install new coil/plug caps
install new regulator rectifier
install chain/adjust tension
adjust and clearance rear brake pedal/linkage
finish wiring everything but the lights
adjust points/timing
fork fluid
tighten up exhaust





I didn't think to have a battery fully charged and ready to go, so instead of hearing a beautiful roar, I got to hear the starter chug a couple times and that was it. After some trickle charging, I finally got to hear it run. Shitty. I spent about a week chasing down little issues here and there. Once I got it to idle, mid throttle it would just cackle an cut out instead of rev. Found out the points/condenser were trashed, and now it revs to the moon with ease. I have a slight, and I do mean slight, hesitation at idle. Here's a video of one of the first rides when the points were bad.



Still tuning for the most part, but now I can focus on making a seat pan, inner rear fender, chain guard, front fender, and sealing some oil leaks on the side covers.

Derrick

No comments: