2/23/11

cb350 build/entry : part 1

Another build saga begins for the Ozark Mountain Scramble.

Here are a couple photos, to kick-off my Honda CB350, Vintage Roadracer project. First is the $20.00 frame. This is a basket case job, if there ever was one. I started cleaning-up the frame last night. By the time I got my old sand-blaster set-up and running, (dang mud dobbers) it was too dark outside, so I hit the rough spots with the angle grinder and an abrasive wheel.

My "new" tank had just come in the mail, ($18.00) so I couldn't resist taking a cheesy mock-up photo. First off, I know the tank looks huge. It's partly the angle of this shot, but the other thing is, it is really big. Guess I'm giving away my "race" strategy: tank twice as big = half as many pit stops. I'm not sure yet of the exact capacity, but the '82 Silverwing is just about the biggest Honda tank I have found. I'm thinking each leg should take around six gallons of gas. Even if the tank is that big, I'm not sure my old body can go all day without stopping. The color looks to be brown in the photo, but it's really more of a brandy-wine or burgundy. My first road bike was ('78 CB750F) this color, and it looked great, when it was near-new. Other than the frame, new paint might not fit in the budget.

The rear shocks look cool and should work pretty well. They're off a V45 Magna; paid twenty bucks for the set. The trick rear-sets are from a 2000 Honda CBR 929. I think they will be a stand-out feature of this bike after I hit them with the buffing wheel. I also, think they were a bargain at $25.00 each.

I picked up a pair of Sportster mufflers at the swap-meet last weekend ($20.00). They fit the stock head pipe perfectly. They aren't very old, but the reverse-cone style gives them a vintage look. The CB550F fork should be a bolt-on, once I get the right bearing races. Paid $65.00 for the set, complete with wheel and tire. I was surprised to see that it was so short. I've been messing around with dirt bikes lately, so I guess I expected something taller. I think it's a good choice. The rake and trail should be down in the sportbike territory. The small, early Honda fours had a strong reputation as canyon-carvers "back-in-the-day" (not sure if I like that new phrase, makes me feel old).

I was in high school in the late Seventies. That was before modern sportbikes had been invented. I read about custom-built Café Racers in the magazines. A Norton or "Triton" was the cat's ass back then. I couldn't afford one then. I still can't afford a Norton; think I'll call this build a "Compton". I always liked the little Honda twins. I'm stoked about this project. I think the scramble will be a lot of fun. The course looks like a blast. I like the challenge of the budget. The time-budget is also good for me. I've done my bargain-hunting (that's been fun too), now it's time to get on with the build. I'll give you another progress report soon.


Rand Man


No comments: