3/17/11

cb350 build/entry : part 3



Had a few setbacks, but I've also made some good progress lately. The new tapered-roller bearings worked out great. All-Balls Bearings makes a universal kit, that fits almost all the early Honda CB's. I ran into a problem, but I can't blame it on the bearings. The CB550 fork is not a bolt-on swap to the CB350 twin. The CB550 triple tree stem was about a half-inch too short for my frame. My solution was to slice off the top bearing cup, and lower it down into the frame. Luckily, I know a good welder. I took it over to Brad's shop yesterday. He laid down a nice bead. Now it's better than new. My son (Eli) helped me put the fork together last night. He's showing some interest, so that's good.

My new tank came in the mail today. I am very happy. I found a "scratch-n-dent" motorcycle-tank supplier. This tank is NOS brand-new. The one dent (in the top) is hard to see. It will fit this build much better than the other tank, which would have been too wide for the clip-ons anyway. The thing I don't like about it is the emblem-holder bracket on the side. That's about the least of my worries though. This tank was listed as "un-identified". It has an odd hole in the bottom. I'm guessing that may have been for a fuel gauge but I really don't care. I can weld that one myself. I don't have to deal with rust. Twenty-five bucks plus ship. Yeah, I'm happy.


Rand Man


P.S. I also got my new rear tire and and wheel mounted.

No comments: