1/3/12

xl500 build/entry : part 1

So I scored the frame I need. Still waiting on the title to arrive for it but I think it'll be a non issue. So in light of that I decided to pull a few parts out of the pile to see what I can come up with. The chosen few include my newly acquired 1979 Honda XL 500 S frame ($200)The rest has been sitting here waiting for other ideas I've had that have come and gone but the run down is: a cb360 front end($30), an XL something or another gas tank and rear fender($10), a Suzuki something 21" front wheel complete with killer knobby tire ($5), and '82 FT500 Timken bearing kit that just might work ($30). That's $275 already!! Shit. Oh well, hopefully I can sell the cb front wheel off the front end to recover a few $$.

So I mocked up the front wheel, front end and frame and of course nothing fits. Not even close. The front hub used a 12mm axle, the cb front end was 20 mm, the steering stem is 3" too long and the bearing races don't fit in the frame. I need to get going on fixing all that crap later this week. More updates to follow but here's a pic to get started:



I'm going for some kind of dirt bike chopper thingy. Not really sure where it will go or if it'll work out or what. We'll see what happens.

Mike

No comments: