7/8/13

OMS kz440 superbike : 03

This bike came without carbs. It seems to be a pattern with most of the bikes that I get a hold of, as the one I put together for the first OMS shared the same affliction. For that bike I used what I had available at the time and made a single carb intake setup from some plumbing elbows and a 2 stroke carb. It worked okay. I'm sure with a considerable amount of tuning, it could have ran like a scalded yet slightly retarded ape, but I never cared enough to do so. I halfway thought about repeating the process, but this go round I want something a little more performance oriented. When putting together my cl350 for the second OMS I ended up with a ton of left over parts. That included a pair of spare carbs that just need an o-ring kit to be runnable. After some measurements, it looked like they could do the trick. These carbs are easy to tune and match the intake boot dimensions as well as the intake port. I ordered up some new intake boots and crossed my fingers that everything would work together.



The first problem I ran into was that the throttle spring and cable connections need to occupy the same space. The intake dimensions are narrower for the kz than the cb/cl350, so I scratched my head a bit.



I decided to swap the carbs and move the throttle area to the outside of the motor leaving plenty of room in between. This however requires swapping choke linkage from side to side, and moves the idle and air screws inward. I can still reach both, but it will make on the fly adjustments a bit more difficult.







The choke linkage swap was pretty simple. These caps will slide off with a little tug from pliers.



One side removed.



This cap gets switched with the previous one.



Linkage swapped.





Almost done. The choke lever has a tab that can hold full and half choke settings on the wheel/lever. It will need swapped to the other side.



The other carb body doesn't have threads to move the tab over, so I had to tap that shit.



Bam.



I assume I will have to tinker with the jets a bit, but unlike the stock kz units I can actually get parts for these easily. They still need a good cleaning, but I will get started on that after the o-ring kits are ready to install.

Derrick